Manly tight-lipped on Walker NRL move

Manly officials remained tight-lipped on Friday regarding the expected signing of former South Sydney outside back Dylan Walker.

The Rabbitohs released their star NRL centre on Thursday afternoon, seemingly paving the way for the 21-year-old to join the Sea Eagles.

However when contacted by AAP, a spokesman for the club said there was no news to come out of Brookvale, and he could not confirm whether an announcement would soon be made on Walker.

Incoming Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett views Walker as a ready-made replacement for New Zealand five-eighth Kieran Foran, who has departed for Parramatta.

Walker played three games at No.6 at the start of the 2014 season, before being shifted back to centre where he eventually helped the club with their first premiership in 43 years.

Another option could see Walker remain in the centres while playing at Manly, with current captain Jamie Lyon helping guide the Sea Eagles to a premiership in 2008 while at five-eighth.

Earlier, a Rabbitohs’ statement confirmed Walker had been released from the final year of his contract by the club in order for him to take up an extended deal with another NRL side.

“I have known Dylan since he was 17 years of age, we have had some great times together and he has many good attributes,” Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire said.

“I spoke to Dylan about staying however I appreciate his desire to secure his long-term playing future.”

The release came just hours after Walker and fellow South Sydney player Aaron Gray were fined 5 per cent of their 2015 salary for overdosing on prescription drugs.

The pair were rushed to hospital in the early hours of September 22 after suffering drug overdoses and were released from hospital three days later.

Walker, through his barrister Julieanne Levick fired a brutal parting shot at the club, after he played through an arm injury earlier in the season

“The board has come to the conclusion that Walker has abused prescription medication in the absence of any expert opinion,” she said.

“This is such an unsatisfactory outcome in any view especially considering how this kid has been treated like a piece of meat in the face of serious injury throughout the 2015 season.

“He has been sucked in, chewed out and well and truly spat out.

“Walker has got a release that his counsel was pushing for but at a totally unacceptable price, that being his reputation.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!