Eels won’t rush into player market

They missed out with a late bid to secure Jarryd Hayne and need a new halfback, but Parramatta won’t rush back into the player market to finalise their 2017 NRL roster.

Despite the salary cap saga that ruined their season, the Eels will have plenty of cash to spend ahead of next year after captain and halfback Kieran Foran was released as he deals with personal issues.

And while they have had their name linked to a number of high-profile stars, coach Brad Arthur has indicated there won’t be any major signing news coming soon.

“I’ve got 40 names on a spreadsheet this morning of names that have been thrown at us,” Arthur said on Thursday.

“We just need to sit back and relax a little bit and take a big deep breath and see where we’re at and what we need.

“When we get a final indication from the NRL on our salary cap we’ll be in a better position to make a decision on where we need to go.

NSW Origin hooker Robbie Farah has been linked to most clubs with salary cap space this season as he remains on the outer at the Wests Tigers.

But Arthur said the Eels needed a long-term halfback to replace Foran, given they’ve been using veteran former Eel Jeff Robson after picking him up mid-season from the Warriors.

“For the long-term future of this club we need to go and target a real quality halfback to put alongside Corey Norman and we’re pretty complete with our team,” Arthur said.

The Eels coach, who re-signed with the club until the end of 2019 last week, said he still harboured worries for Foran’s health amid reported concerns over his gambling habits.

“Kieran is still a mate and we are concerned that his health is a priority for us,” Arthur said.

“But I’ve got a squad here of players that want to be here and they’re my concern.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!