Eels salary cap saga close to finish line

Parramatta’s salary cap saga is finally close to an end, with the Eels and NRL finalising talks to ensure the club doesn’t appeal their punishment for breaches.

Three months after the NRL announced it would dock the Eels 12 competition points for rorting the cap, the club is set to officially accept the sanctions, possibly this week.

With new administrator Max Donnelly now in charge of the club, the two parties have been locked in negotiations that at one point threatened to lead to the Supreme Court.

However it is understood the governing body is now considering suspending part of the original $1 million fine, ensuring that the seemingly never-ending drama doesn’t overshadow the run into the finals series.

“We are talking to the Eels in regards to governance reforms,” an NRL spokesperson told AAP on Tuesday.

“That may involve a suspension of part of the fine but nothing has been determined yet. We need to work out the reforms required in consultation with the administrator.”

Former captain Nathan Cayless said it was a fresh start for everyone involved in the club and praised the players for not letting off-field problems affect their results on-field.

The Eels have so far won 10 of their 19 games despite being without key men Kieran Foran, Corey Norman and Tim Mannah for extended periods throughout the season.

“There’s been a few times where we thought there was a clean slate, so we just have to wait and see because there’s still a lot of work to be done behind the scenes,” he said.

“But having said that, it’s a good fresh start for everyone.

“We need to move forward. The players, the way they’ve handled everything, it’s about looking after what they can control – how they play. It’s made everyone proud at the club.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!