Eels have hit rock bottom: Arthur

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur has admitted that the scandal-hit NRL club has finally hit rock bottom, with the pending exit of Junior Paulo the latest development in a horror season.

Arthur confirmed that Paulo has been pulled out of Monday night’s match against Newcastle as the club and his management wrap up negotiations on an early release to join Canberra.

“His management has asked for a release so we’re just working through that,” Arthur said on Sunday.

Paulo’s impending exit comes just a fortnight after Nathan Peats was forced out of the club due to the Eels’ salary cap breach, while star halves Corey Norman and Kieran Foran have also been rocked by separate off-field dramas.

Norman is facing charges of possession of a prohibited drug and a prescribed restricted substance, while captain Foran is also undergoing rehabilitation for personal issues.

A rock for his players throughout the troubled season, Arthur finally conceded his team was feeling the effects of a seemingly never-ending series of setbacks.

The Eels have yet to win a game since being stripped of 12 competition points three weeks ago.

“It’s easy to keep saying that we’ll just put it aside and brush it off, but maybe over the last couple of weeks, we haven’t been at our best football and it has taken it’s toll a little bit,” Arthur said.

“We’re all humans. They’re not robots. They’ve been very strong to put it aside. I can’t say for sure but maybe for the past fortnight they’ve been putting on a brave face.

“They’ve still been playing with plenty of effort. Maybe their heads haven’t been in the game for the full 80 minutes… There’s a sense of relief from the boys that it can’t get much worse.

“We’ve hit rock bottom. The only way for us now is forwards.”

Arthur also explained why Foran stayed in Sydney this week instead of going back to rehab in Brisbane, as had been previously planned after last week’s loss to Melbourne.

Arthur said Foran couldn’t fly after picking up a shoulder injury, but still kept in touch with his doctors.

“He’s consulted with his doctor up there and he’s done a couple of Skype sessions,” he said.

“He was only going back for an overnight trip anyway, so he still got what he needed to get out of it.

“He just needed to get some treatment. He’ll probably go back up for a couple of days next week.”

Norman is a certain starter against the Knights despite the charges he is facing.

“He put himself in a silly situation. But we’ve got to give him a chance to prove his innocence,” Arthur said.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!