Edrick Lee is hoping to use his State of Origin ban as motivation for a standout NRL season with Canberra.
The Fijian flyer was earlier this month suspended from representing Queensland for the next 12 months after breaking curfew during an Emerging Origin camp in Brisbane.
He was among eight players punished by new coach Kevin Walters.
Lee labelled it a learning experience.
“It’s a bit unfortunate what’s happened,” he said on Monday.
“You were in a unique position, in a camp.
“But what’s happened has happened and I’ve sort of put that behind me.
“Now I’m really focused on the Raiders and that starts this weekend (against Penrith).”
Lee was 18th man for Origin III last year and in the mix for a Maroons jumper in 2016.
Asked whether he could use it as a motivator for the upcoming season, he suggested he would.
“As a little kid, everyone wants to play for their state,” said the 23-year-old.
After a few early games in the centres in 2015, Lee found his form after switching back to the wing – scoring a dozen tries, including three doubles.
He was rewarded a few weeks’ ago with a start in the Indigenous All Stars’ match against the World Stars in Brisbane.
And it’s provided a shot in the arm.
“The confidence is there now, especially after the All Stars game I had,” he said.
“Just to be in that game, it’s definitely built my belief more and now I want to put my best foot forward for the Raiders.”