North Queensland have no case to answer in regard to allegations of salary cap rorting made against them, the NRL says.
NRL officials say they have already conducted a review into allegations raised in regard to possible salary cap irregularities at the club, and will only reopen an investigation if further information becomes available.
Fairfax Media on Tuesday raised a series of claims in regard to property deals involving Cowboys stars including Johnathan Thurston, James Tamou and Matt Scott.
According to the investigation, ten Cowboys players purchased vacant blocks of land and apartments from Laurence Lancini, former chairman of the North Queensland rugby league club.
The purchase of the properties could, if proven, contravene salary cap rules. However there is no suggestion individual players have broken rules.
On Tuesday afternoon the NRL released a statement saying “salary cap auditors had already reviewed some of the matters raised about the Cowboys today and had determined no further action was required.”
The NRL’s head of integrity, Nick Weeks, under whose auspices salary cap operations fall, said new information would need to be presented if the Cowboys were to be investigated further.
“As any new information becomes available it will be reviewed by the auditors,” Weeks said in the statement.