Coote expected to ink new deal with Cows

Lachlan Coote is expected to re-sign with North Queensland within a week after firing the NRL premiers to a 32-16 win over Parramatta.

Coote starred with the ball and in defence on Saturday night as he issued Cowboys bosses with a reminder of his worth and made a statement about his NSW Origin credentials.

The off-contact premiership-winning No.1 is considered one of the hottest commodities on the market and has attracted interest from several southern clubs including Sydney Roosters.

However, he is expected to shun suitors as the Cowboys attempt to build a dynasty around the likes of Coote, five-eighth Michael Morgan and hooker Jake Granville.

“There’s definitely offers there,” Coote said on Fox Sports following the win over the fourth-placed Eels.

“I’m very happy that the Cows have come here to play (and tabled an offer). Hopefully by the end of next week I’ll have a decision there.”

Coote was expected to be forced out as a result of salary cap pressure but is now firming to stay in Townsville.

He has hit career-best form this year and scored one try and saved another two in a man-of-the-match performance against the Eels on Saturday night.

He is now putting pressure on West Tigers’ James Tedesco and St George Illawarra’s Josh Dugan in the race for the NSW No.1 jumper.

The 26-year-old had endured a wretched run of injury over the past four year, sitting out most of 2013 with a pectoral injury before not even taking the field in his first year in Townsville in 2014 because of a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament suffered at the Auckland Nines.

“Being able to get that whole year in last year and playing consistent footy with the run of injuries that I’ve had, it definitely helps to get that full year in,” Coote said.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!