Benji Marshall is pledging to let his football do the talking as he fights to save his NRL career.
The one-time world player of the year is only contracted to St George Illawarra for one more season and admits his future beyond 2016 is very much uncertain.
Marshall said “good question” when asked on Fox Sport’s NRL 360 on Tuesday night where his contract negotiations with the Dragons were at.
“I’ve been speaking to the Dragons throughout the whole time about where they’re at and from their point of view at the moment they just can’t offer me a contract,” he said.
“So I’m just going to try and play some good footy and let my footy do the talking.”
Far from fazed, the 239-game veteran believes the stand-off is in his favour.
“I think it’s a good thing for me. I’ve just been sitting back at the moment and letting my manager take care of that,” Marshall said.
The former New Zealand international only turned 31 last week, finished equal second behind Johnathan Thurston in the 2015 Dally M count and is promising to continue delivering the goods to, if not force St George Illawarra’s hand, land an NRL contract elsewhere.
The playmaker – who had an ill-fated three-month stint in Super Rugby in 2014 with the Auckland-based Blues after 11 years at Wests Tigers before linking with the Dragons – is placing no time frame on securing a new deal.
“I said to my manager that I don’t want to actually know until there’s a point in my season where I feel like I’m actually playing well enough to get the most money I can,” Marshall said.
“The cut-off point is more in my court than theirs.”
Marshall concedes he’d prefer to remain in the NRL than venture overseas.
“Based on family preference,” said the Tigers’ 2005 grand final hero.
“I don’t know, I’d never say no to nothing.”