Andrew Johns dumped from GF broadcast

Andrew Johns dumped from GF broadcast

Nine Network has dumped rugby league great Andrew Johns from Sunday’s grand final broadcast after he propositioned a married woman at a Queensland airport on Thursday.

Johns was a notable absentee on the network’s Sunday Footy Show on Sunday morning and has been stood down for the decider.

“We’ve made the decision to stand him down,” Channel Nine Sports director Steve Crawley told News Corp Australia.

“I spoke to Andrew several times yesterday and we made the decision last night.

“He will not be on air for any part of our coverage.”

The former Newcastle legend has apologised to the married mother-of-three, Helen Wright, after she accused him of being drunk and trying to kiss her.

He did, however, deny being passed out.

“I was up there for a function and had been up since 5am,” he told News Corp.

“My flight home was delayed three hours last night, so I took myself away into a quiet corner and lay down and had a sleep. No way did I pass out.

“I’ve obviously said the wrong thing, which has offended her, and I rang her and apologised for that and she accepted my apology.”

Wright also posted a photo of Johns lying down on the floor of Toowoomba airport, saying Channel Nine “should be ashamed” at his behaviour.

“This is not an example that should be presented to children that were present!” she wrote.

“Many of the children had taken photos of him passed out.

“My own sons have played football all their lives and we love the game. But not this aspect of the game.”

Johns has recently been in talks with Fox Sports about joining brother Matthew on the network next year.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!