Mostert back in Supercars groove

Supercars driver Chaz Mostert feels he’s back to the form that had him as a championship contender in 2015.

The Ford star’s 2015 title tilt came to a sudden halt at Bathurst in October when a crash in qualifying left him with a broken leg and wrist.

Since returning to the sport at the start of this year, the 24-year-old has struggled to regain the race form he had before the crash.

A pole position in his first event at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide allayed fans’ fears over his quick return from such serious injuries.

But while Mostert is consistently qualifying inside the top 10, his average race finish so far is 12th.

However, a third in the first race at June’s Darwin event and an impressive showing in practice at Townsville on Friday has Mostert in a bullish mood heading into this weekend’s Townsville 400.

“It was up the pointy end in both sessions but we still have a bit of work to do as well,” he said.

“It’s just practice but it’s nice to go to bed tonight knowing that we’re up in the top five.”

Mostert isn’t sure when he’ll join the list of 10 different drivers to win races in 2016 but is feeling success is only a matter of time.

“I’ve just had a bit of an up-and-down year so far,” he said.

“In terms of my weekends, it’s been one bad race, one good race. I was ready to race at the start of the year. Each weekend I feel more and more in touch with the car.

“We’re getting there. Each weekend we’re learning a bit more about the set-up of the car and what direction we want to go and probably the last couple of rounds you’ve seen that a little bit more.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!