AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX AT A GLANCE
1. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
2. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
3. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
4. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull)
5. Felipe Massa (Williams)
6. Romain Grosjean (Haas)
7. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India)
8. Valtteri Bottas (Williams)
9. Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso)
10. Max Verstappen (Toro Rosso)
WHERE THE RACE WAS WON: Tyre strategy. Vettel had the lead but relinquished it to Rosberg when he was forced to pit and put a fresh set of rubber on.
RETIREMENTS: Daniil Kvyat (Red Bull) – electrical issue on the formation lap; Fernando Alonso (McLaren) – crashed; Esteban Gutierrez (Haas) – crashed; Rio Haryanto (Manor) – driveline issue; Kimi Raikonnen (Ferrari) – engine failure; Marcus Ericsson (Sauber) – engine failure.
* Formation lap: Kvyat stops on the grid and retires before the start. Field forced to do another warm-up lap.
* Lap 1: Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen got the jump on both Mercedes frontrunners. Polesitter Lewis Hamilton slipped to sixth and Nico Rosberg to third.
* Lap 17: Fernando Alonso (McLaren) clips the rear of Esteban Gutierrez (Haas), flipping his car twice and smashing it to pieces. Escapes uninjured.
* Lap 19: Red flag waived, suspending the race.
* Lap 20: Race restarts after safety car.
* Lap 21: Indonesia’s first F1 driver, Rio Haryanto (Manor), retires with a driveline issue.
* Lap 22: Raikonnen retires with engine failure. Airbox catches fire in pitlane.
* Lap 42: Daniel Ricciardo is overtaken by Hamilton for third place, before going in for a change of tyres.
* Lap 42: Marcus Ericsson (Sauber) retires with engine issues.
* Lap 56: Vettel slides off the track, ruining any chance of taking over Hamilton for second place.
* Lap 57: Rosberg finishes first, ahead of teammate Hamilton and Vettel. Ricciardo fourth.