GOLDEN SLIPPER CURSE VICTIMS
VANCOUVER (2015 Slipper winner)
* The Gai Waterhouse-trained colt ran fourth in the San Domenico Stakes in his first and only race as a three-year-old. He was sent to compete in the UK but a bad blood picture meant he never raced and returned to Australia where he retired to stud.
CRYSTAL LILY (2010)
* Never won again. Bumped into Black Caviar four times in her seven starts after the Slipper and was runner-up twice. Suffered a fatal track work accident in 2011.
PHELAN READY (2009)
* Won the Magic Millions-Slipper double then didn’t win again for five years. The Jason McLachlan-trained gelding kept plugging away in Queensland and finished his career with four wins from 59 starts.
* Failed to win a race after his Slipper win. Fourth in the San Domenico Stakes first-up after his Slipper preparation. Raced through to the autumn before retiring to stud where he produced Group One winners Streama and Crystal Lily.
POLAR SUCCESS (2003)
* The three-year-old filly didn’t run a place in her three spring starts before she had to pull out of her campaign due to a hoof injury. She never won another race.
CALAWAY GAL (2002)
* The first Queensland-trained horse to win a Slipper had 17 unsuccessful starts after triumphing at Rosehill. Was $3 to win the San Domenico first-up and only beat one of the eight runners home.
Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au