Rogers ruled out of 2nd Windies Test

Veteran opener Chris Rogers will miss the second Test against the West Indies this week due to concussion.

The 37-year-old was sidelined for last week’s first Test victory in Dominica after being struck in the head during a nets session two days before the series opener.

Despite the incident happening over a week ago Rogers is still suffering from symptoms of concussion.

Team doctor Peter Brukner said there was no way Rogers will be able to play in the second Test at Sabina Park starting on Thursday.

“Chris has improved but he is still not 100 per cent so we are restricting his training therefore he is unavailable for selection for the second Test,” Brukner said.

“While most concussions resolve within a week there is a significant number who remain symptomatic and require a longer period of recovery. Unfortunately Chris is in this category.

“We will continue to monitor his progress and hopefully it will not be too long before he is back to full training.”

Rogers’ omission means it’s highly likely the Australians will stick with the same team which beat the Windies last week inside three days.

Shaun Marsh opened in place of Rogers for the first Test, while 35-year-old Adam Voges took the man-of-the-match prize on debut after his first innings 130 not out.

Australia held their first training session at Sabina Park on Tuesday after arriving in Jamaica on Monday evening.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!