Sandilands dismisses rib rumour in AFL

Fremantle ruckman Aaron Sandilands has dismissed rumours he had a rib removed following his heavy collision with Nic Naitanui last month.

Sandilands suffered a punctured lung and broken ribs in the round-three incident, with the injury requiring titanium plates to be inserted.

The 33-year-old AFL veteran said rumours that he had a rib removed were false, and says he holds no hard feelings towards Naitanui over the incident.

Sandilands is still at least a month away from playing again, but he put pen to paper on a new one-year deal on Wednesday, tying him to the club until the end of 2017.

The last-placed Dockers are yet to register a win this season but Sandilands said the decision to extend his career had been an easy one to make.

“I still love coming to the club every day, am still very passionate and enjoy my footy,” he said.

“I was really happy the club wanted me to go around again and I still believe I have a fair bit to contribute.

“We’ve got a really strong group of players (and) although the results aren’t going our way at the moment, I believe we’ll work through that and be better for it.”

Sandilands was rushed to hospital following his collision with Naitanui where he underwent surgery.

He is back on the cross trainer and is pleased with his progress.

“I’m ticking some boxes and things are moving in the right direction,” he said.

“The body is starting to feel a lot better and we’ll build from now on and hopefully be back out there as soon as possible.”

The four-time All Australian has played 241 AFL games since being elevated off Fremantle’s rookie list in 2002.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!