Port appeal Moore’s ban for umpire push

Port Adelaide have appealed a three-game ban to their AFL midfielder Andrew Moore for pushing an umpire in state league ranks.

Moore was suspended for three games on Tuesday night by the SANFL tribunal after pleading guilty to intentionally making contact with an umpire.

Moore, who had been considered likely to earn an AFL recall this week, made contact with an umpire during Port’s SANFL match against North Adelaide last Saturday.

The 23-year-old told the tribunal there was no malice involved, saying he was demonstrating a previous incident involving a North opponent.

And the umpire, Craig Fleer, said the contact was so minimal he was not aware of it at the time.

But SANFL tribunal commissioner Ian White said the umpire was forced to take a “step and a half” backwards due to the contact.

“The SANFL has to be seen to take a stance against umpires being pushed by players,” White said.

Moore was a likely candidate to replace Port’s injured AFL onballer Ollie Wines for Saturday night’s fixture against Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval.

His appeal against the ban will be heard on Friday.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!