McGuire to miss Thursday night AFL

McGuire to miss Thursday night AFL

Eddie McGuire will sit out Fox Footy’s Thursday night AFL coverage as the fallout continues from the Caroline Wilson controversy.

McGuire reportedly rang Wilson on Wednesday to apologise for the saga and she accepted.

He is said to be emotionally and physically drained by the week’s events.

The Collingwood president, who was supposed to be part of the commentary team for the Adelaide v North Melbourne match, has scheduled holidays from next week with his family.

Also on Wednesday, deputy commissioner Wendy Steendam referred to the controversy in an internal Victoria Police memo.

“Recent comments by Eddie McGuire and others have made me think about the parallels with our own organisation when it comes to the impact and harm words and inappropriate behaviour can have on others,” she said.

“Here we have an example of where humiliation and a lack of respect are played out in public,” she said.

“Where a group of men laughing about drowning a female colleague, along with other name calling is somehow framed as a ‘joke’.

“What they didn’t understand is that intention is not what matters, but rather the impact of the behaviour.”

Triple M belatedly apologised for the controversy after the AFL expressed support for a boycott of the radio station by Richmond players.

The radio station says it will donate its on-field digital signage space from this weekend’s AFL games to anti-violence against women charity White Ribbon as it looks to make amends.

The apology and pledge came after a public outcry which has lasted all week in the wake of McGuire, James Brayshaw and Danny Frawley’s disparaging on-air remarks about Wilson.

“Triple M acknowledges the widespread public condemnation of comments made on Triple M Football last week,” a statement released on Wednesday read.

“The comments were inappropriate and unacceptable, disrespectful to Caroline Wilson and to women in general.

“We recognise that continued and further education is necessary to ensure that all staff understand what is acceptable and what won’t be tolerated.”

All Triple M staff will receive training from White Ribbon but the high-profile trio will not face disciplinary action over the controversial exchange that happened ahead of the Queen’s Birthday clash between Melbourne and Collingwood.

Richmond players will refuse to appear on Triple M this weekend in response to the affair – an action supported by AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan.

“That’s their voice. This is what happens when you give the opportunity for issues like this to be talked about and for people to take positions,” McLachlan said before the apology was issued.

Tigers spearhead Jack Riewoldt confirmed the boycott on Tuesday night and said it might continue beyond Saturday’s match against Brisbane at the MCG.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!