Richmond star Dustin Martin is expected to keep training as usual with his teammates as he awaits the outcome of a police investigation.
The AFL confirmed on Thursday night that it asked Victoria Police to look into an incident last Saturday where Martin allegedly threatened a woman.
The Tigers have an open training session on Friday morning from 9am (AEDT) at Punt Road.
Richmond and the AFL are continuing their own investigations.
“The serious nature of the allegation requires that this matter be referred to the police,” the league said in a statement.
“If the investigation reveals threatening and violent behaviour, the AFL will take strong action.
“However, it is important for the investigation to be complete before the AFL acts or makes any further comment.”
Richmond had said they would decide by the end of this week what action they would take against Martin over the incident.
But the police involvement means that is now highly unlikely to happen.
“Police are investigating reports that a woman was threatened by a man at a Chapel Street restaurant at 9.45pm on Saturday,” a Victoria Police spokeswoman said.
“The incident was not initially reported to police, but police are now aware of the incident and have identified a woman (as the alleged victim).
“The victim is a woman from Sydney and our investigation remains ongoing.”
Martin has already apologised to the unnamed woman and admitted he was drunk on Saturday night at the Chapel St restaurant.
The woman has claimed that Martin threatened to stab her through the face with a chopstick.
She said Martin was disturbing other diners with his behaviour and he became angry when she asked h1im to settle down.
She added he then slammed the wall near her head when she confirmed she would contact the club about his behaviour.
Richmond announced on Monday that they would investigate the incident and the AFL then also became involved.
On Tuesday, Tigers legend Kevin Bartlett said the club’s initial public response to the matter had been pathetic.
He called on Martin, Richmond’s best player, to be banned for 12 months and to donate $50,000 to an appropriate women’s group.
Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale has since said the club is extremely disappointed in Martin.