Crowley fronts AFL anti-doping tribunal

Fremantle tagger Ryan Crowley’s doping hearing is underway, but a decision on his future isn’t expected to be known for several weeks.

Crowley is fronting the AFL’s Anti-Doping Tribunal on Monday after testing positive to a “specified” banned substance last year.

If found guilty, Crowley faces a ban of up to two years – a situation that would almost certainly end his AFL career.

The 31-year-old has been provisionally suspended since September last year.

Crowley claims he ingested the banned substance through a painkiller he sourced from outside of the club.

If Crowley is found not guilty – or is suspended for eight months or less – it would free him to rejoin Fremantle’s playing ranks immediately.

However, a decision one way or another isn’t expected until later this month or early next month.

The three-person tribunal comprises of chairman David Jones, former judge John Nixon, and Dr Susan White.

Crowley will be represented by his lawyer George Haros.

The hearing is closed to the media and public.

Crowley’s absence has been barely felt by Fremantle, who are two wins clear on top of the table following their 7-0 start to the season.

Dockers coach Ross Lyon says it’s too hard to predict whether Crowley will be able to play for the Dockers this season.

“It’s out of my jurisdiction. I’m sitting here waiting for the outcome like you are,” Lyon said.

“ASADA aren’t ringing me up and saying, ‘We haven’t heard the case yet, but here’s what’s going to happen Ross’.

“Look, he would be stressed.

“He would like it resolved one way or another.

“It’s disappointing he’s found himself in that (situation).

“But he’s worked his way into it, and at the end of the day he’s accountable.

“And he’ll get his opportunity to put his case forward and have a fair hearing.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!