Concussion issues not a worry: Martin

Concussion issues not a worry: Martin

Brisbane ruckman Stefan Martin has refused to blame concussion issues for his passive display against the Western Bulldogs ahead of his 100th AFL game.

Martin had to pass two concussion tests before being cleared to play in last round’s 53-point loss to the Bulldogs, after copping a huge bump two weeks ago that led to the Gold Coast’s Steven May being banned for five games.

Martin said lingering issues from the bump were the last thing on his mind ahead of Sunday’s Gabba clash with Sydney, despite concussion forcing teammate Justin Clarke to retire at just 22 last month.

“Almost the opposite. I know I can get hit like that and know it is not that big a deal,” he said.

“I am doing a fair bit of study at the moment – I think the fact that I can do that is probably a better test than they (Lions medical staff) can do.

“It (Bulldogs match) was just one of those days where I wasn’t sharp enough or hard enough.

“I was very passive. I was ball-watching a lot, not aggressive which are the things I’ve modelled my game on the last few years.”

The injury-plagued Martin was proud that he had been able to notch game No.100 in his ninth AFL season.

Lions coach Justin Leppitsch said the 29-year-old had “another 100 in him”.

“Stef can get to 35 (years old) easy and knock over (another) 100 pretty quick,” he said.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!