Bartlett wants 12-month AFL ban for Martin

Richmond legend Kevin Bartlett wants the AFL club to throw the book at Dustin Martin, calling on the Tigers star to be banned for a year.

Martin has apologised after a woman accused him of threatening to stab her in the face with a chopstick.

The Richmond midfielder admits he was drunk at the time of the Saturday night incident.

He was eventually asked to leave the Mr Miyagi restaurant on Chapel St.

The Tigers issued a statement on Monday afternoon after the woman, identified only as Tracy, had contacted the club earlier that day.

Bartlett, who played 403 games for the Tigers and later coached the club, said Richmond’s response was pathetic.

Richmond football manager Dan Richardson also separately called the incident a hiccup.

“Not one word that violence against women is totally unacceptable – and this is at an AFL club that has the first and only female president (Peggy O’Neal),” Bartlett said on SEN.

Richmond said in the statement that Martin would meet with club leaders later this week to decide what happens next.

But Bartlett said it needed a stronger and more urgent response from the Tigers in what shapes as a serious test of their leadership.

“This is not player No.42 on the club list – this is arguably their best player,” Bartlett said.

Bartlett also noted that the AFL and its clubs strongly support the campaign to end violence against women.

“It’s hard to imagine a more serious allegation.

“A 12-month suspension and a $50,000 donation to an appropriate women’s organisation seems a realistic and fair conclusion for the club, the AFL and the image of the game.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!