AFL star Dustin Martin is now under police investigation for last Saturday night’s drunken incident at a Chapel St restaurant.
The Victorian Police have confirmed they are involved as the Richmond and AFL investigation also continues.
“Police are investigating reports that a woman was threatened by a man at a Chapel Street restaurant at 9.45pm on Saturday,” a Victoria Police spokeswoman told AAP.
“The incident was not initially reported to police, but police are now aware of the incident and have identified a woman (as the alleged victim).
“The victim is a woman from Sydney and our investigation remains ongoing.”
Martin has already apologised to the unnamed woman and admitted he was drunk on Saturday night at the restaurant.
The woman has claimed that Martin threatened to stab her through the face with a chopstick.
She said Martin was disturbing other diners with his behaviour and he became angry when she asked him to settle down.
She added he then slammed the wall near her head when she confirmed she would contact the club about his behaviour.
Richmond announced on Monday that they would investigate the incident and the AFL is also involved.
The Tigers hope to make a further announcement about the investigation either later on Thursday or Friday.
On Tuesday, Tigers legend Kevin Bartlett said the club’s initial public response to the matter had been pathetic.
He called on Martin, Richmond’s best player, to be banned for 12 months and to donate $50,000 to an appropriate women’s group.
Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale has since said the club is extremely disappointed in Martin.
Star Geelong recruit Patrick Dangerfield and AFL players association boss Paul Marsh have also commented.
Dangerfield is an ambassador for The Line, a campaign that aims to stop violence in the community.
While expressing his disappointment about the Martin incident, Dangerfield said on Thursday it was important that the investigation be allowed to run its course.
“What’s been reported is really disappointing – Dustin’s actions are really disappointing,” Dangerfield said.
“Richmond have put that across in a media release, obviously.
“But at the moment, it’s still very much being investigated.
“So until we know all the facts, we can’t really hang someone out to dry.”
Marsh was also quoted as saying that Martin’s apology was a positive first step.
He added the players association would support Martin and it is about changing long-term behaviour.